We have resumed the public celebrations of Mass and Reconciliation at the Newman Center and St. Francis Xavier. Everyone who plans to attend Mass on Saturday or Sunday at either location must register at one of the links below. No registration is required for daily Mass (at 9am).
We will continue to live stream our celebration of Mass for the foreseeable future every Sunday through Friday at https://www.facebook.com/pg/siucnewman/videos/
Celebration of Mass
To ensure a safe environment, we are currently limiting our Mass attendance at the Newman Center to 50 people. In order to participate in the Sunday celebration of the sacrament you must register for the time and date listed by clicking on the links below. There is no need to register for 9am daily Mass, but any are welcome to attend .If you know someone without internet access or who is unable to register themselves, you can fill out the registration form on their behalf or direct them to call and leave a voicemail for Fr. Bob Flannery at (618) 457-4556. He will call them back to confirm that there is space.
For the time being, each individual must be registered separately (sorry, big families!), and each email must be unique. If you do not want to give us your phone or email, just enter 999-999-9999 for the phone number and use “firstname.lastname@example.org” for the email (you can use any name that you like, but every email that registers must be unique). If you have any questions or problems, email email@example.com or call (618) 529-3311.
Please see the health and safety guidelines for Mass at the bottom of this page.
Sacrament of Reconciliation
We are limiting our Reconciliation Services to ten people, so if you would like to celebrate the sacrament with us we require that you register by clicking on the link below. If you know someone without internet access or who is unable to register themselves, you can fill out this registration form on their behalf or direct them to call or leave a voicemail for Fr. Bob Flannery at (618) 457-4556. If you do not want to give us your name, phone or email, please type 999-999-9999 for the phone number and use “firstname.lastname@example.org” for the email (you can use any name that you like, but every email that registers must be unique). If you have any questions or problems, email email@example.com or call (618) 529-3311.
Health and Safety Guidelines for the Sacrament of Reconciliation
• Penitents must wear face masks or facial coverings the entire time they are in the church, including during confession (those with breathing difficulties can be exempted from this requirement).
• The priest also will wear a mask for the entire time he is hearing confessions.
• All penitents will arrive through the front or handicapped (side) door and be directed to sit in the main worship space at least six feet apart from all others. Please do not enter through the kitchen door.
• The traditional confessional will not be used. Confessions will be heard in the Annex space, with an option for either face-to-face (with distance) or anonymously behind a divider.
• After confession the priest will require that penance be fulfilled outside the church. No penitent is permitted to remain in the church after his or her confession is heard.
Health and Safety Guidelines for the Celebration of Mass
Before you arrive:
• Check your temperature; please do not come if your temperature is above normal.
• Stay at home if you are ill or experiencing any common symptoms of COVID-19.
• Bring a face covering to wear.
When you arrive:
• Enter only through the front door or handicapped (side) door; please do not enter through the kitchen door.
• Wear your mask at all times, except for taking Communion.
• Observe six feet of social distancing at all times.
• Sit as directed by the ushers in the appropriate locations.
• Wash or sanitize hands as needed.
• Collection baskets will be placed near the entrance; there will be no passing of baskets. Or please donate online at donate.siucnewman.org.
During the service:
• No physical sign of peace will be exchanged.
• No collection will be taken during the Preparation of the Gifts.
• Please do not change seats during Mass.
• Leave for Communion when directed by the greeter.
• Maintain 6 feet of distance in line (as marked on floors).
• Approach priest when directed, with mask still in place.
• Extend a single hand to receive Holy Communion.
• Move six feet away from priest, lower mask, and consume Host.
• Replace mask immediately after taking Communion.
After the service:
• Take with you any worship aids you may have brought.
• Follow instructions for dismissal and maintain social distance.
• Use only the designated doors to exit.
• Please do not congregate outside the Church doors.
• Continue wearing your mask until you have reached the parking lot.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation during this difficult time.